Did you know that around 95% of new products fail every year? Poorly thought out or badly executed packaging is one of the major reasons.
As humans we are very visual and our first impressions often not only stick with us, but also drive our decision making. When we shop, most of us don’t have time to compare advantages and disadvantages of a product and we look for a short cut, that short cut being the product’s packaging and if or how it appeals to us.
Packaging is so important because it sets you apart from your competitors, while also representing your brand. Successful packaging stands out on the shelves and is designed in a style, colour scheme and look that is appealing to the demographic that the product is designed for.
Here are some tips to make sure your package design hits the mark.
1. Know who you’re selling to. Sure, there are trends in design and there is an urge to follow suit (and sometimes that may be exactly the direction you should go). First and foremost you need to focus on your demographic and what appeals to them. Don’t be afraid to go bold, feminine, bright, youthful, etc. Know your audience and give them a look that they will love and identify with.
2. Communicate your purpose. Not only should you know who you are selling to, but you should show what your product stands for and what sets it apart. That purpose and message is another aspect that the consumer will identify with and sway them towards your product as opposed to your competitors.
3. Be aware of your brand. Now, of course a start up company isn’t going to have the same impact as, let’s say, Coco-cola, but even the smallest company can create a positive brand awareness and personality by ensuring they communicate what their brand is about and proving a sense of sameness across their product line. Make sure your product is memorable and will stick in your customer’s mind even after they have purchased or even seen the product.
4. Be honest and direct. Above all consumers want to know what they’re getting and they want that information quickly and easily available to them. Packaging should be trustworthy and labelled appropriately. Pay attention to the hierarchy on your packaging and make sure that what you want to stand out is what the customer sees first and of course always ensure that you’re following regulations and speaking the truth.
5. Be creative. Creative packaging will set you apart and can be done in so many ways. Consider eco-friendly packaging, or packaging that offers an experience, is a unique shape or made of a unique material. Consumers will be drawn to your product on the shelf if it’s unique compared to its competitors beside it.
At Source Nutraceutical we can help you check off all of these boxes. We have a dedicated team of Graphic Designers who, with the assistance of our Regulatory department are also fully versed in packaging regulations in Canada (as well as other countries). So, not only do you get to take advantage of our creative minds and unique ideas that will make your product stand out, but you will be rest assured knowing that your packaging is also completely compliant in the Canadian market. It’s truly the best of both worlds!